Saturday 5 July 2014

Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur (KL)

I visited KL in 2002 as part of a travel agent’s trip and didn’t like it much then so I wasn’t really looking forward to it, but someone had told me it was cheap to buy electrical goods there so I thought I’d have a look & it was on my way.  I booked 2 nights at a hostel in the city centre.  Travelled on a public bus (interesting, full of locals), a coach, train, another train and finally I was there!  The hostel owner was really welcoming.  So much so I had to politely excuse myself from her as it was 4.30pm and all I’d eaten that day was toast for breakfast! The hostel owner had told me it wasn’t far to walk to places from there, gave me a map and I was on my way.  What she failed to tell me was if I walked there, there were no pavements and the road had roadworks so I was walking towards 3 lane traffic!  I managed to find somewhere to eat and explored the city as it turned to night.  Little India, China Town, the Petronas towers, the magical fountains outside. Caught the train back (no more risking my life on the no pavement streets!) and headed to bed.

Next day I ended up meeting Paula.  She had decided to come to KL too!  We took the train to the Batu Caves which were really cool. Lots of wild monkeys on the steps to the caves which were really friendly compared to Ubud (although someone told me a few days later they saw one of them nick an iPhone and run off with it…. I would soooooo not have been impressed!).  We had some more amazing Indian food and went back into KL.  Did some shopping, bought a lense for my camera and watched the fountains again (still magical!), and some window shopping in China Town.  Still not sure I like KL.  The maps are not to scale, the men are a bit leery, they don’t have flipping pavements (!) and the people can be a bit rude.  Leaving tomorrow to head to the highlands… no  not Scotland, the Cameron Highlands!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment