Saturday 5 July 2014

Malaysia: The Cameron Highlands

Got up early to get the bus to Tana Rata in the Cameron Highlands.  As I got off the bus I approached another backpacker to see where they were going and if they wanted to share a taxi.  His name was Peter from Germany and was going to the same hostel as me!  Result.  We arrived at Father’s Guest House and I instantly felt at home.  Had a lovely welcome from Manager (Valarie from France), she showed us around, pointing out the free tea and comfy seating area in reception.  Everyone seemed very relaxed here and it was colder outside,  a welcome relief after 5 weeks of sunshine.  Myself and Peter went for a wander around the town.  It was pretty compact, and it seemed like the only thing to do here was eat or drink.  So we went and had cheesecake and tea, as you do!  Back at the hostel we met some other people, Jez from London and Cerys from Manchester, and a young Dutch guy who I can’t remember his name as we called him Justin Bieber as he looked like him!!  We all went for dinner later to an Indian, trying the tandoori platter.  So good! Afterwards we went to a bar and met 2 Swiss girls, Daniella and Sabrina.  Cerys and Sabrina had met previously in Thailand.  Had such a funny night playing a silly card game and getting far too excited! I was called a party pooper for leaving early (er midnight!) as I was on a whole day trip the next day.  I later found out they all stayed out until 4/5am and truth or ‘action’ (not dare) had been played.  The football was on at 3am but I think that was just an excuse to stay out drinking!!

The tour I had booked the next day was a whole day tour visiting some of the sights in the Cameron Highlands.  Visited a tea plantation, mossy forest, tea factory, butterfly sanctuary, strawberry fields, a random museum and a Chinese temple. Really good day but I needed a lie down by the end of it!  Was cool to see where tea comes from and how it’s produced.  Oh forgot to mention, that morning I was in the jeep at the start of the tour with my guide and a Dutch couple.  We were stopped by immigration and a very stern looking man asked me for my passport.  I said it was at my hotel.  He then questioned me as to why I wasn’t carrying it and what would happen if something happened to me.  I was a bit shocked by his directness and just mumbled back to him.  He then gave me a final warning.  I later found out that you can get charged for not carrying your passport with you in Malaysia.  Whoops!  Lucky escape and a learning for the rest of my trip!

The following day I had booked another tour but this time half a day, a jungle trek to see one of the biggest flowers in the world!  Woooo!  I was with the Dutch couple from yesterday, a guy from Singapore and our guide, Frances.  I was a bit worried about leeches as it had been raining the night before and the Dutch girl as also the same.  We asked Frances but he said there would only be one or two.  About 10mins into the trek I felt something on my ankle.  I thought it was just my imagination but when I rolled up my trouser leg it was there, a leech! URGH!  I did a bit of a girlie shriek and Frances came to the rescue removing it from my ankle in one clean sweep.  He’s done with before!  For the rest of the trek up (about an hour and a half there) myself and the Dutch girl were paranoid about leeches and kept stopping to check our ankles!!  Then as we got near the top we were warned there would be a lot of wasps.  I hate them!  I was sweating so much too as the trek was all uphill.  When we finally got to the flower, loads of Malaysian tourists in the way crowding round, we all got to see it.  Wow incredible! They only bloom for 5 days but they have them most of year round here. It was pretty cool to see.  We walked back to the jeep through the jungle ….. only to find our jeep stuck in the mud!  Frances had gone on ahead to try and move it as he had struggled to get us up the hill earlier.  The jeep wasn’t moving. A few people tried to help but it wouldn’t budge.  Luckily another company had space in their van so we got a lift back to the hostel.  An eventful morning!  Had a relaxing afternoon eating and drinking tea.  Paula arrived from KL so showed her around.  Had a great time in the Cameron Highlands.  Malaysia is so not what I expected, really loving it here.  So much diversity of things to do.  Off to the Islands next… can I do my dive course…..  all will be revealed soon!










No comments:

Post a Comment