Wednesday 19 November 2014

Cambodia: Kampot

We were up early the next day to catch the bus to Kampot (6.30am).  We arrived around 10am and caught a Tuk Tuk to the Bohdi Villa, where we would stay the next 4 nights.  The accommodation was really relaxing and how I imagined backpacking to be when I planned my trip.  Situated on a river about 25mins walk from the town, it was quiet, bohemian and welcoming. Basic rooms but what did you expect for $5!  The food at the accommodation was delish.  Everything I had there was good!  Actually I have to say, the food in Cambodia has been excellent, which really surprised me.  They really cater to Western tastes and their local food isn’t too shabby either.  Everyone staying at the accommodation was backpacking, and a really diverse bunch of people from all over the world (New York, Israel, Canada, Australia).  Such an interesting bunch who strangely I didn't get their contact details.  I think I knew it was just a moment in time and I’d never see these people again (apart from Sabrina of course!).  We spent 4 nights sitting in the bar area overlooking the river, sharing stories and having a laugh.  The only bummer I have to say was that about 90% of the people there were smoking in the bar area.  I had to go to bed early one night as I just couldn’t deal with it anymore.  It’s funny how you get used to smoke free public areas back home. 

Whilst in Kampot we did quite a lot of walking and the rain kept coming so it was a daily occurrence to get soaking wet and try and dry the clothes off.  My things were beginning to smell damp.  Lovely!  One day we cycled around the town and went to the market which was really interesting.  The local ladies here wear matching towelling pyjama sets but they wear them like they are daytime outfits!  I lost count of how many ladies I saw wearing them. The market was very busy and vibrant; you could do your weekly shop, get your hair done, have some clothes made and buy parts for your bike!  Interesting place and great for people watching.  We had lunch a couple of times at the Epic arts café which is a disability arts charity, funded in Cambodia and the UK. Great place if you ever go you must give it a visit, the food is delicious and of course, it's for a great cause.

One day we booked a Tuk Tuk and the driver took us to a place called Kep. Kep has a national park and is famous for crab.  We had a lovely walk around the national park (in the sunshine yeay!), and then visited the town and the crab market.  You can chose your crab in the market and have it cooked, or go to one of the many restaurants nearby.  We didn’t realise the market option existed until after we visited, so we went to a restaurant.  I had prawns in tempura batter with this yummy black pepper dip as I wasn’t keen on crab but Neeha (another Swiss girl who was staying at the hostel) tried crab. She’d never had it before and wasn’t quite sure what to do with the tongs. When she first started breaking the shell, I thought it would end up being like Pretty Woman when she struggles with the snails, but she was fine!

Whilst in Kampot we visited a local cinema and watched a documentary called ‘Small Voices’, which was about underprivileged kids in Cambodia. It was really eye opening and sad, learning about how they have nothing and have to beg for money in the streets of Phnom Phen so their families can survive.  It makes me realise how lucky we are back home.

Really enjoyed my time in Kampot.  The local people are really smiley and friendly.  I did manage to have an upset stomach for a few days whilst here (maybe the prawns?).  All part of the backpacking experience!! Onto my next and final stop in Cambodia – Siem Reap!




























No comments:

Post a Comment