Friday 29 August 2014

Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC)

From Hoi An to Dong Hoi, the transfer time was 30mins by taxi.  Our flight from Dong Hoi to HCMC was just over an hour.  This is the way to travel!!!!!  Of course, we picked an early flight as it was cheaper but it meant we were tired (especially after a few shandies the night before!).  Once into HCMC it was hot and smelly.  There were motorbikes lining the streets.  I forgot just how crazy it was!  In between stopping for food and drinks in air conditioned places (such tourists!), we visited the HCMC Museum and the Reunification Palace, learning about the history of Vietnam and the war. After a well deserved nap we went for dinner at an outdoor BBQ garden.  The place was buzzing for a Sunday night with locals and tourists.  The trees all had little sparkly lights and our table had it's own gas BBQ so the food was cooked on the table in front of you.  It was meaty heaven!  Anthony had a smile on his face the whole time!  The food was actually pretty good. Afterwards we headed to the backpackers area across from  our hotel and had a few drinks in one of the bars.

Next day was our final day together in HCMC and what is the main thing to do when you are here?  That's right, visit the water park!!  We both love water parks and when you find out it's only 4 pounds for the whole day, it would be rude not to go.  We spent most of the day there running around like big kids.  The park was pretty quiet so we didn't have to queue for anything.  Result!  Mid afternoon the heavens opened so we sat in one of the pools but it didn't let up, so we left.  To be fair we had been there most of the day anyway.  That night we did some shopping and had dinner in a lovely Vietnamese restaurant.  The restaurant employs former street children and disadvantage youths, and the service was impeccable.  Afterwards we decided to go to a rooftop bar and had a cocktail each.  Lovey last night.

Final day in HCMC I went with Anthony to the airport (sad faces all round), then caught the bus back to HCMC.  I checked out of the hotel and booked into a backpackers hostel.  Back to slumming it and sharing with strangers!  I felt like the last few weeks had been an amazing mini holiday in the middle of my travels.  Yes I know I am on holiday but when you're on your own it can be hard work at times.  I was a bit mopey that last day and wasn't sure what to do with myself.  And after getting hassled outside the hostel to buy things, hire a moped, get in a tuk tuk, give people money, I decided to leave the next morning and go to Cambodia.

Update! Just to let you know I have changed my flights to come back a bit earlier - 21st October.  5 months away is still a really long time (especially when you get hassled on a daily basis to go in Tuk tuks, buy things & give money to beggars). The time has helped me think & plan for the future (watch this space!) & I have had such an amazing time. But it's not over yet!  In the next 7 weeks I need to do a whistle stop tour of Cambodia, Boreno, The Phillipines and Thailand.  Looking forward to exploring new countries but also looking forward to coming home to some normality!!!!  I miss my boyfriend, friends & family. Oh and being able to put my loo roll into the toilet! And a decent cup of tea.  Sometimes it's the little things....





No comments:

Post a Comment