Monday 16 June 2014

Food & drink in Indonesia

I've not really mentioned much about the food as I thought I'd write a separate blog on it seeing as I do like my food!

Since I've been in Indonesia I've tried to eat as much local food as possible. It's cheaper & usually freshly cooked so less risk of getting Bali belly! 

The places to eat for local food are called 'Warungs'. They are usually dirt cheap. I think the cheapest I've had is around 50p for a full meal up to £2. Cheap as chips!

The food isn't particularly healthy with most things fried in oil. They don't eat much fruit or veg. Fruit juices are readily a available & normally pretty good value (from £1). 

They serve rice or noodles with everything! Chicken sate (yum), Nasi Goreng (fried rice with chicken), Nasi Campur (fried rice with a bit of everything they have cooked; fish, meats, tofu, spinach), Gado Gado (vegetables with peanut sauce). I didn't get round to trying the Bakso (meatball soup). They serve their meals with a spicy chilli sauce called sambal. I did try fish but I hate having to get the bones out (I know, lazy!).

I did get to try some of the local tipple (Arak) on the boat trip. It did warm me up somewhat drinking it straight out of an old cold bottle! 

Looking forward to seeing what Malaysia has to offer as everyone I've spoken to has raved avoid the food there. 














No comments:

Post a Comment